Injection quills play a crucial role in a wide range of industrial processes by enabling the easy introduction of chemicals including chlorine into pipelines and vessels. They are widely used in industries such as water treatment, chemical processing, oil and gas, and pharmaceuticals. These tools are instrumental in ensuring precise and efficient distribution of chemicals within a system. Their unique design enables controlled and uniform injection of liquids or gases, ensuring an effective mixing with the main flow.
At Cannon Water Technology, we recognize the significance of accurate and efficient chemical injection. That's why we offer several models of injection quills including non-retractable and retractable injection quills from top brands like Walchem and Neptune that are designed to accommodate varying flow rates and pressure requirements. Our collection includes injection quills made from high-quality materials like stainless steel, Inconel, Hastelloy, as well as PVC or ceramic to address the specific demands of your application effectively.
Working Principle of Chemical Injection Quills
The operational principle of a chemical injection quill is based on the fundamental concepts of fluid dynamics. Our range of injection quill in piping comprises a hollow tube or pipe with multiple injection holes distributed along its length. It is strategically installed at a specified location within a process system, such as a pipeline, tank, or reactor, where chemical injection is necessary. During the operation, a pressurized chemical solution is introduced into the quill through a designated connection point. As the solution enters the quill, it passes through the injection holes that have been strategically placed. This ensures even distribution of the chemical across the entire cross-sectional area of the system.
It is important to note that the velocity and pressure of the solution are critical factors in defining how a chlorine injection quill operates. The high velocity achieved by the fluid passing through these injection holes generates turbulent jets that help in dispersing the chemical into the surrounding flow. This turbulence promotes effective mixing between the injected chemical and process fluid, thus enhancing its performance capabilities.
Our range of injection quills available in a wide pressure range finds immense applications in various industries due to their versatility and effectiveness. A few of the sectors that get benefited from our non-retractable and retractable injection quills include:
- Water Treatment: In the water treatment industry, the device is widely chosen to inject chemicals, including chlorine or other pH adjusting agents, into water streams. The uniform injection of chemicals guarantee proper disinfection and pH balance.
- Oil and Gas: We offer retractable injection quill used for injecting corrosion inhibitors, scale inhibitors, and other chemicals into pipelines. This helps to maintain their integrity and efficiency.
- Manufacturing: When it comes to the manufacturing sector, the tool is of utmost importance for introducing dyes, pigments, and colorants into production processes.
- Pulp and Paper: When it comes to injecting chemicals into pulp streams, our range of injection quills is highly recommended.
- Agriculture: Injection quills are widely chosen for injecting fertilizers and pesticides into irrigation systems in the agriculture sector. This even distribution of chemicals using the tool augments crop yields and protects plants from pests and diseases.
- Pharmaceutical: Accurately introducing active ingredients and excipients into formulations is a vital activity when it comes to the manufacturing of medicines. Our injection quills ease this process significantly.
Types of Chemical Injection Quills
The models of injection quills available with us are either of the two types:
- Retractable: In this type, the operator does not have to depressurize the pipeline; they can simply retract the quill. In a way this is essential because, cleaning and maintenance of the quill becomes easy for the operator. Also, production time is not wasted.
- Non-Retractable: These quills cannot be removed easily. The operator needs to depressurize the pipeline for the quill to come off. This types of quill is challenging to clean as depressurizing is essential every time. Also, for certain critical processes, this may be a challenge as the transfer of fluids needs to be stopped before a pipe is depressurized. So, this is a waste of productive time.
Major Components of Chemical Injection Quill
A few of the main parts of chemical injection quill include:
- Quill Body: Made of corrosion-resistant materials such as stainless steel or Hastelloy, the quill body handles the function of holding and directing the flow of the injected chemical.
- Injection Tip: Located at the end of the quill body, which is equipped with a chemical-resistant nozzle or orifice, the part serves the purpose of providing a controlled release of desired chemical into the process stream.
- Flange or Welded Connection: A flange or a welded connection helps to integrate the device into an existing pipeline. In other words, this part ensures easy installation and maintenance.
- Valves and Fittings: They contribute to the precise control of the injected chemical flow.
- Tubing: The purpose of tubing is to connect the chemical injection quill assembly to the chemical source, like storage tank or a metering pump.
- Mounting and Support Structures: Many models of chlorine injection quill come with additional mounting or support structures to ensure stability and safety.
Common Features of Chemical Injection Quills
The following features of injection quills have helped promote their easy acceptance across various industries.
- Injection quills provided by us are made of sturdy materials such as stainless steel, Inconel, Hastelloy, as well as PVC or ceramic.
- They are available in a wide pressure range.
- These quills come with a valve that prevents the backflow of fluids.
- To get the right flow of fluids at the required speed, selecting the correct piping is crucial. Usually, 3.25" is a pretty standard length, which fits moist pipes well, but we can customize them to fit your requirement.
- The quill should be pointing in the upward direction; there are spring-loaded models of injection quills in case a different positioning is required. This positioning depends on the direction of flow as required
However, this is a very broad segmentation. Injection quills differ on the basis of their length, application, and the amount of insertion within the pipe. For instance, there are specifically-designed chemical injector quills and chlorine injection quills for transferring chlorine and other chemicals. Some are specially designed for the oil & gas and petrochemical industries. Injection quills transfer fluids at different speeds. For instance, Cannon Water offers Neptune injection quills that are designed for a rapid transfer of fluids.
Applications of Injection Quills
Injection quills are used in all industries, which handle transfer of fluids and especially abrasive ones. Some of them include:
- Oil & gas
- Paints and emulsions
- Water and wastewater
- Soaps and detergents
- Food & beverages
So, injection quills are a one-tool solution for several transferring and mixing equipment one may require to handle corrosive fluids. Are you looking for injection quills for your application? If yes, you can contact the experts at Cannon Water Technology, Inc. We have several brands of injection quills available with us, such as Neptune, Stenner, and Walchem, and can assist you in choosing the right one to suit your requirement. We also assist with the injection quill installation process. For details, you can reach us on phone or email.
- What is the purpose of injection quill?
It is mechanical device used for introduce corrosive chemicals into a pipeline without damaging the pipe wall or the side port at the exact point of injection.
- What is injection quill for dosing?
Injection quills consist of a hollow needle with an attached plunger that is inserted into the fluid and then pushed down, allowing the fluid to be injected in precise amounts. Dosing injection quills are specifically designed for accurately measuring and delivering small doses of liquid chemicals such as acids, bases, solvents, etc., which makes them ideal for use in industrial processes where exact measurements are required.
- How does a chemical injection quill work?
A chemical injection quill works by using a motor-driven pump to force liquid under pressure through tubes which extend from the main pipe into side pipes for injecting the fluid at specific points. These side pipes can be connected either directly or via small valves.
- Where are Chemical Injection Quills typically used?
Chemical injection quills are most commonly found on oil rigs, water treatment facilities, and industrial manufacturing plants where accuracy is critical to effective operation.
- What benefits Chemical Injection Quills provide?
Due to their ability to be installed directly onto pipe lines with no additional hardware needed for secure mounting in place, chemical injection quills offer significant savings both in terms of installation costs as well as valuable space occupied by running traditional piping runs via bulkheads.
- How long is an injection quill?
An injection quill is typically between 4 and 6 inches in length.
- What is a retractable injection quill?
A retractable injection quill is a device used in the pharmaceutical industry to inject liquids into containers. It consists of an outer tube with a needle at one end and a plunger at the other, which can be retracted when not in use. The quill allows for precise control over liquid flow rate and direction, making it ideal for applications such as filling syringes or vials with medication.