TDS Meters (Total Dissolved Solids)
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) is a measure of the solid matter dissolved in water. It is described as the sum of anions and cations present in water. Although TDS is not harmful to humans, their high levels may have a direct impact on the equipment and may also affect the water filtration process. This is why TDS is generally measured before installing any filtration equipment. TDS in water is measured using various types of TDS conductivity meters and chemical testing kits. Cannon Water Technology, Inc. provides one of the comprehensive categories of TDS measurement devices from industry-leading brands such as Myron L, Advantage Controls, and HM Digital. All the products displayed on this page can be shipped immediately.
What is TDS in Water?
TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids and refers to the combined concentration of all dissolved substances in water. When water comes into contact with rocks, soil, vegetation, or man-made sources, it can dissolve various minerals, salts, metals, organic compounds, and other substances. These dissolved substances contribute to the TDS level of the water.
The dissolved solids constituents are mainly distinguished as cations and anions. It comprises both organic and inorganic constituents. Of these, cations are positively charged ions and anions are negatively charged ions. Dissolved solids may comprise the following types of anions and cations:
How is TDS Measured?
TDS is measured using any of the following methods:
- Conductivity: As indicated before, most organic and inorganic constituents in water are identified as cations or anions. These positive or negatively charged ions enable water to conduct electric currents. The conductivity of water may increase or decrease based on the amount of dissolved solids. These conductivity tests are performed using TDS conductivity testers. These TDS water tester always measure the conductivity of water and multiply it with a conversion factor.
- Gravimetric Analysis: This type of measurement is performed in laboratory settings. In this method, the water is evaporated and the remaining residual mass is dried on any type of evaporating dish. This dried mass is then measured through a weighing and filtering process.
At Cannon Water Technology, we provide only conductivity measurement solutions for TDS measurement. All TDS water tester determine the level of TDS by a unit of parts per million (ppm).
How Are TDS Results Interpreted?
TDS levels are differentiated as high or low on the basis of levels of TDS.
- Low TDS: If the water sample features TDS less than 100 ppm, it symbolizes low TDS content. The range between 150 and 250 ppm is considered excellent for health.
- High TDS: If a water sample shows TDS above 100 ppm then it is high TDS. EPA has fixed the TDS concentration at 500 ppm for drinking water. The water that has TDS above 1000 ppm is not recommended for consumption.
What is a Digital TDS Meter and How Does it Work?
Total Dissolved Solids meters (TDS) are digital handheld devices designed to measure the concentration of dissolved solids in a solution, typically water. It provides a quick and convenient way to determine the overall quality or purity of the water by measuring the total amount of dissolved substances present.
Now Coming to the Next Part How a Water TDS Meter Works?
TDS meters work based on the principle of electrical conductivity. When immersed in a liquid, the meter's probes or electrodes detect the conductivity of the solution. Since dissolved solids, such as salts, minerals, metals, and other ions, contribute to the conductivity of the water, the meter can estimate the TDS level.
TDS meters are commonly used in various settings, including residential, commercial, and industrial applications. They are useful for assessing water quality, checking the efficiency of water treatment systems, monitoring nutrient levels in hydroponics or aquaponics, and ensuring compliance with regulatory standards for drinking water.
Types of TDS Measurement Solutions Provided by Cannon Water Technology
Being at the forefront of water treatment technologies for several years, we understand the requirements of our clients. Currently, we provide the following types of TDS measurement solutions:
- Conductivity Meters: Most TDS testers available with us can measure the conductivity of water. We help customers choose from various types of digital handheld meters and dialysate meters available with us. We also provide combo meters that act as total dissolved solids testers as well as temperature measurement devices. These devices can measure TDS, electrical conductivity, as well as temperature.
- Chemical Testing Kits: Most chemical testing kits provided by us include digital hand-held meters. These kits comprise solutions to measure TDS, mineral/salt concentration, conductivity, chlorine, pH, and other features.
Applications of TDS Meter Measuring Unit
We regularly provide TDS measurement solutions to our clients in the following areas:
- Water management services
- Food and beverage processing
- Agriculture industries
- Laboratories and scientific testing facilities
- Ecology testing facilities
We understand the human dependence on water. This is why we only provide TDS measurement solutions from trusted brands. Our experts always work with clients to understand their requirements before suggesting them the right solution. They assist clients through the selection to implementation and also provide aftersales support. Do you have any query on any TDS meters listed on this page? You can email or phone us your queries and we would be happy to serve you.
- What is TDS meter?
A TDS meter is a device used to measure the concentration of dissolved solids in a liquid, typically water. It provides a numerical value that represents the total amount of dissolved substances, including minerals, salts, metals, and other organic and inorganic compounds.
- Where TDS water tester used?
TDS water testers are used in various industries and applications where monitoring the concentration of dissolved solids in water is important like water quality testing, aquariums and aquaculture, pools and spas and industrial processes.
- Is TDS a good test for water?
TDS measurement is widely favored for assessing water quality due to its simplicity, accessibility, and ability to offer users a general understanding of their water composition.
- What is the size of TDS water tester?
TDS water tester come in various sizes, but they are generally compact and handheld devices. The typical size of a TDS meter is similar to that of a pen or a small electronic gadget. These devices are designed to be portable and easy to handle. The size may vary slightly depending on the specific brand or model.
- How is digital TDS meter measured?
The TDS meter measures the conductivity and converts it into a TDS reading, usually displayed in parts per million (ppm) or milligrams per liter (mg/L).