Ultrasonic Flow Meters
Ultrasonic flow meters are non-contact, non-invasive devices that measure the velocity of fluids flowing through pipe to which they are attached. They are used to measure corrosive and dirty fluids externally, without affecting sensors. The advantage here is that they do not come in contact with fluid and can measure the velocity externally. This flow meter is clamped to pipe, and ultrasonic waves are allowed to pass through fluid. There are various ultrasonic flow meter brands available at Cannon Water Technology. We provide a number of components and tools; however, we are well-known suppliers of good-quality ultrasonic flow meter brands such as Blue-White, Seametrics, Stenner, and so on.
Types of Ultrasonic Flow Meters Available at Cannon Water Technology
There are mainly two types of ultrasonic meters- Doppler and transit time.
- Doppler ultrasonic flow meters: These can measure liquids with suspended solids, bubbles, and particulate matter. However, flow rate should be high enough to keep the particles and bubbles intact for flow meter to reflect ultrasonic signals. The shift in frequency is because of motion of particles and bubbles.
- Transit time ultrasonic flow meters: This type of flow meter uses a comparison of upstream and downstream measurements. This means it calculates the difference from time when ultrasonic signal is transmitted into pipe to the point the fluid moves out of pipe and is received by transducer. Most Sonic Pro flow meters by Blue-White use the transit type method. The Sonic Pro ultrasonic meters by Blue-White come in a NEMA-certified housing and have NSF 61 certification.
Cannon Water Technology also offers Seametrics level sensors. These are also ideal for flow monitoring applications. Seametrics level sensors record the level, time, and temperature of any water body such as a wet land, lake, or water pipes and industrial tanks in various applications. They are made of 3169 stainless steel and come with Modbus RTU protocol for increased connectivity.
Common Features of Ultrasonic Flow Meters at Cannon Water Technology
An ultrasonic flow meter comprises a transducer and an indicator, and there are various configurations available depending upon your requirement. Here are some common features of ultrasonic flow meters:
- The measuring principle for ultrasonic meters is either Doppler or transit time.
- They are made of robust metals and do not come in contact with the fluid. Hence, they do not undergo wear and tear, and are relatively low on maintenance.
- Their meter size depends upon the dimensions and weight. Usually, for Sonic Pro meters, the weight is around 3.7 pounds and the dimensions are 24H x 6.69W x 3.11D inches.
- Usually, for most Sonic Pro flow meters the operating temperature ranges from -10 C to 60 C, and the storage temperature ranges from -40 C to 70 C.
- The external communication can be made using one of the following protocols:
- Modbus RTU
- Modbus TCP
- Profibus DPV1
- Profinet RT/IO
- For most Sonic Pro flow meters, the fluid velocity ranges from 0.5 to 30 feet per second.
- The data logging is done in the FAT32 file format, which can be easily imported to MS Excel.
- The data outputs are fully configurable and invertible.
Applications of Ultrasonic Flow Meters
Most process industries that use pumping systems and transfer a considerable amount of fluids and semisolids require these flow meters. Here are a few application areas of flow meters:
- Chemical plants
- Water purification systems
- Sewage treatment plants
- Ground water suction and purification systems
- Effluent treatment plants
- Metals and mining
- Oil & gas
- Food & beverage
- Pulp & paper
Cannon Water Technology is very particular about quality and our suppliers are also reliable and noteworthy. If you are looking for the right flow meters for your application, we will be more than happy to assist you. You can reach us on email or phone if you are interested in knowing the further details.