HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester
- HM Digital
- 0.50 LBS
- Calculated at Checkout
Measuring the pH value of water-based solutions is important for various applications. This can be easily done using HM Digital PH-80 pH Hydro Tester. This device is economically priced, and equipped with advanced microprocessor technologies. Cannon Water Technology, Inc. has been providing these HM Digital pH Hydro Testers to its clients across various commercial and industrial sectors for a long time.
Specifications of HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester
The following specifications of HM Digital PH-80 pH hydro tester aid them perform in challenging conditions.
- SKU: PH-80
- pH Range: 0 - 14
- Temperature Range: 1-80 °C; 33-176 °F
- Monitor Type: Handheld
- ATC Range: Yes ( 1- 50oC)
- Minimum EC/TDS: 5 uS/10 ppm
- Resolution: 0.1 pH; Temperature resolution is 0.1 °C/F;0.00 - 14.0 pH.
- Accuracy: +/- 0.2 pH; Temperature accuracy is +/-2%
- Calibration: Digital automatic calibration (one point)
- Electrode: Glass sensor and reference tube electrodes
- Housing: Water resistant, splash proof
- Power source: 3 x 1.5V button cell batteries (model LR44 or equivalent; included)
- Dimensions: 15.3 x 3.2 x 1.8 cm (6.0 x 1.3 x 0.7 inches)
- Weight: 53.9 g (1.9 oz)
- Warranty: 1 year
Beneficial Features of HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester
The following are a few beneficial features of HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester.
- The tester measures temperature and pH simultaneously
- It reads from 0.00 to 14.0 pH
- The tester is housed in a water-resistant, and splash-proof housing
- This device is equipped with automatic digital calibration feature, which enables calibration to one point
- There is a large LCD display showing the temperature reading
- Advanced features include data-hold function, auto-off function, and low-battery indicator
- This device possesses Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC)
- The device is provided with 3 batteries, a cap, pH 7.0 buffer, and storage solution. The Storage solution is provided in a sponge, which is embedded in a translucent cap
- Auto shut-off feature helps save the batteries
- Factory Calibrated to pH 7.0. The meter can be re-calibrated to pH 4.0, 7.0, and 10.0 with a one-touch process.
Applications of HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester
The following are a few applications that make use of HM Digital PH-80 HydroTester.
- Aquarium and Reef Tanks
- Drinking Water
- Food & Beverage
- Industrial Water Treatment
- Pools and Spas
- Water Ionizers
Important Note: It is ideal to maintain a pH between 6.0 & 7.0 for soil applications, as well as 5 to 6.5 for hydroponic gardens.
Additional Information (A PDF can be created of the below-mentioned information)
Directions for Use
Before Starting the Hydro Tester
Here are the steps to follow before using the hydro tester:
- Wet the PH-80 sensor in the electrode storage solution for some time before using it. The recommended wetting time is 15- 30 minutes before using. The solution is included with the device, in the Mylar packet (large).
- Pour the solution in the cap such that it moistens the sponge. Any excess solution can be discarded.
- Allow the meter to stand upright for the desired time in the solution.
- Mix the content of the smaller Mylar packet with 100 ml of distilled water to produce a solution to be used during the calibration. This packet contains 7.0 PH buffer powder. This solution can be used for 3-4 weeks if stored in a sealed container.
Tips for Taking Accurate pH Measurements
The following tips will help you take accurate pH measurements:
- Pull out the cap before testing. Avoid testing using the cap.
- Put on the POWER button. You will see a display “PH”. This will appear for a moment or two, and will change to the number. This indicates that your meter is all set to take pH measurements.
- Start taking the measurement by dipping the sensor of the meter into the solution, water, or liquid to be tested.
- Remove the electric charges or air bubbles by swirling the meter. The swirling should be done lightly.
- You will see the reading immediately. The water should be kept in the water until there is a stabilization. It may take up to 30 seconds to achieve this stabilization.
- Click on the HOLD button to see the reading out of the liquid. This will help to retain the reading for some time. Once you see the reading, release the button.
- Turn off the meter by clicking the POWER button.
- Rinse the meter with TDS water after shaking off any excess water on it. Else, you can use the compressed air to clean the meter. Take care to use the water which has low TDS value. Put on the cap again before you use it for the next time.
NOTE: The PH-80 shows extreme sensitiveness in the water below 10 µS. If used in this type of solution, it is always ideal to swirl this meter throughout the reading or measure in the flowing water. This will help freeze the reading for 10-15 seconds, which enables you to have a good look at it.
Temperature and Switching Temperature Modes
Understanding the temperature and switching temperature modes will help you immensely.
- The temperature reading and the pH readings appear simultaneously. The temperature reading can be seen on the LCD panel, except during the calibration mode.
- By default, the temperature mode is set in the Celsius. You can change this to the Fahrenheit mode by clicking on the TEMP/CAL button or vice versa.
Steps for pH Calibration
The performance of PH-80 depends on the calibration of the device. The meter provided to you is calibrated to pH 7.0 and remains in the same position during first few uses. However, you can easily calibrate the meter to the level closer to the desired value or the range closer to your testing, or in values in-between the range. It is important to calibrate the meter at least once a month. The range of auto-calibration of the PH-80 is pH 4.0, 7.0, and 10.0. Here are the steps to calibrate the meter.
- Start the meter by turning it on. Next, insert it into a pH buffer solution of – 4, 7, and 10. If, the reading shown is correct then it is better to stop. If the reading is inappropriate, then press the CAL button for nearly 10 seconds. By doing so, the temperature reading will show 'CAL' image.
- Select from the calibration levels – 4, 7, or 10 by using the arrows showing UP or DOWN buttons. There will be a change in the measurement on the selection of the calibration level. There appears a small icon, which indicates the changed value. If the number matches the solution, you can click on RNTER.
- The 'CAL' image will flash as 'C - CA - CAL' which shows progress. For 5-60 seconds, avoid pressing other buttons. Also, keep the meter in a steady position, without any movement.
- Once the meter undergoes calibration, the message 'END' will be seen, and the measurement will appear again.
Steps for Changing the Batteries
When should the batteries be changed? How to change the batteries. This section provides answers to these questions.
If your meter flashes a battery symbol, it is an indication that the batteries are weakening, and need a replacement. Here is how you can change it:
- Use your thumbnail to pull the battery compartment. This compartment is in orange color.
- Take out the three batteries, and insert the new ones in the directions given on the compartment. The positive side of the battery is usually the flat side. The meter is equipped with 357A batteries.
- After replacing the battery, close the compartment tightly.
Steps for Temperature Calibration
Do you want to calibrate the PH-80’s thermometer? It can be easily done following the below-mentioned steps:
- Switch OFF the meter. Uphold it in the air, and long press the POWER and TEMP buttons simultaneously. These buttons should be pressed long for 2 seconds.
- The temperature and 'CAL' will appear on the screen.
- Correct the temperature using the UP or DOWN arrows.
- After correcting the temperature, click on the ENTER. You will see a message 'C - CA - CAL' flashing on the screen. The 'END' will appear on the screen. The thermometer is accurately calibrated now.
How to Take Care of Your HM Digital PH-80 pH HydroTester?
The following tips will help ensure high performance of the hydro tester:
- Calibrate the meter regularly. Also, take care of the sensor, as these aid in long-term performance.
- Store the meter with the cap. The cap should be tightened, and the sponge should be kept moist. Avoid touching the glass electrodes. Also, never allow the solution (nutrients) to dry on the sensor.
- If there are salt deposits on the rim or outside of the cap, rub it off using a tissue or an alcohol. It is common for the salt deposits in the storage solution to get deposited on the rim.
- Clean the meter after every use. This can be done using a pH 70 solution or water with low TDS. Never store the meter in any other solution except for the electrode storage solution provided with the device.
Are There Any Maintenance Tips for Advanced Users?
If you are using the meter more often in various pH levels or calibrating it to various points, there are chances of its performance getting affected in the long run. In such condition, you can reset the meter to the factory defaults. The reset can be done in the following ways:
- Press the button and hold it in the air for ten seconds. You will see END for a short time.
- Re-calibrate the meter to the value pH 7.0.