Oxidation reduction potential (ORP) indicates contamination in water. Oxidation occurs when water molecules come in contact with oxygen, causing them to break down and form new molecules. This process can result in the formation of free radicals, which can impact human lives in many ways. Thus, ORP measurement is important in water treatment and wastewater facilities where effluents are released into the environment. This ORP measurement is performed using various devices such as ORP sensors, ORP meters, and so on. At Cannon Water, we provide one of the comprehensive inventories of ORP measurement devices, such as ORP meters, ORP solutions, and ORP sensors from trusted brands like Myron, Walchem, and so on. We assure you one of the fastest turnaround times in the industry.
Sub Categories of ORP Measurement
Why ORP Readings are Important to Water Testing
ORP (oxidation-reduction potential) is an invaluable resource for assessing water quality in a wide range of industries and it serves many practical purposes. It enables government authorities to monitor the disinfection capability of public water systems, ensure the safety of food and beverage products, reduce contamination risks in swimming pools, observe aquariums and aquaculture systems, and optimize the performance of water treatment systems.
Types of ORP Measurement Devices Offered by Cannon Water Technology
ORP measurement devices are used to measure the water’s ability to oxidize or reduce other substances. The level of minerals, increased pH levels, and the amount of dissolved oxygen are some factors that may affect the ORP readings. The high ORP readings recorded in millivolts (mV) would indicate the potability of water, however, low ORP readings would indicate the presence of contaminants in water. Our products have been used in the water and wastewater treatment industries for ORP measurement and ORP devices management.
- ORP Meters/ORP Sensors: Our collection features hand-held ORP meters that are capable of measuring ORP and other water treatment parameters like PTSA, temperature, free total chlorine, and so on. Many ORP sensors feature double junction reference protection, which helps prevent contamination by sample components. As a result, they can sustain longer in unpredictable chemical environments.
In addition to the above, we also provide the following ORP measurement and management devices.
- ORP Calibration Kits: These kits comprise all required solutions and powders for 260 mV, 80 mV, and 470 mV calibration.
- pH/ORP Solution: The solution will help you store your handheld and inline devices.
- ORP Calibration Solution: This solution is used to calibrate your inline or handheld devices.
Applications of ORP Measurement Meters
There are many applications where ORP measurement devices are used more regularly than others to monitor and control the following oxidation-reduction reactions, in swimming pools, aquariums, pools, spas.
- Chromate reduction
- Cyanide destruction
- Chlorine and chlorine dioxide scrubber monitoring
- Hypochlorite bleach production
What is an ideal ORP level for drinking water?
The ORP measurement requirement varies depending on the specific application. An ideal ORP level for drinking water is 672 mV, while for swimming pools it is 760 mV.
What are the Factors to consider when selecting ORP (oxidation-reduction potential) Meters?
There are many factors to consider when selecting ORP test meters. A few of them include:
- The size of the sensor
- Type of electrode
- The measurement ranges
- The accuracy
- Response time
- The type of solution you will be measuring
- The range you need.
How to Maintain ORP Levels in Water?
ORP test meters require regular maintenance to ensure accurate readings. Here are some tips on how to maintain your ORP meter:
- It is highly advisable to keep the ORP sensor clean as dirt, debris, and other contaminants that may build up on the sensor cause inaccurate readings.
- Ensure to immerse the sensor properly in the solution. The sensor should be completely submerged in the solution for accurate readings.
- Clean the ORP meter regularly with a soft, damp cloth. It is not recommended to use harsh chemicals or abrasive materials for this purpose.
- It is recommended to rinse the meter with fresh water after each use if it is used in a saltwater pool. This will help to prevent corrosion.
- Check the batteries regularly and replace them as needed.
- Store the ORP meter in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- Calibrate the ORP meter regularly. This will ensure that the readings are accurate.
If you would like to know more about ORP meters, get in touch with Cannon Water Technology. The team of experts here can help you choose the right ORP test meter for your needs and answer any questions. We offer a wide range of ORP meters from top-rated brands, so we are sure to have a model that meets your specific requirements. Contact us today to learn more.